STM Image Archive
Ge on Si(001)
1. Reversal of step roughness
- Si(001). There are two types of steps: straight low-energy
SA and rough higher-energy SB steps.
- 0.8 mL of Ge. Steps become equally rough as a result of changing
step energies and (2xn) reconstruction.
- Magnification of (b) showing (2xn) reconstructing. Dark lines
are dimer vacancy lines.
- 1.6 mL of Ge. A reversal of step roughness compared to (a) due
to further change of step energies.
- Magnification of (d).
2. Reversal of surface anisotrophy
- Clean Si(001) under external uniaxial stress. (2x1) domains
expands at the expense of (1x2) domains.
- Magnifications of (A), showing steps and terrace type.
- 1.6 mL of Ge on Si(001) under external uniaxial stress. (1x2)
domains expands at the expense of (2x1) domains, demonstrating
a reversal of stress anisotrophy, as compared to (a).
- Magnification of (c).
3. 3D islanding
Beyond 3 mL Ge deposition. 3D  faceted hut clusters begin
- 0.01 ML of Ge on Si(100): Ge adatom-induced chain-like structure
- 3D image of (a)
- Modification of Si(100) substrate bonding in the vicinity of
a Ge ad-dimer island
Back to Image Archive